Monday, May 31, 2010

Busantown


School has been busy lately, hence the lack of blog activity. I just finished my after school classes so now I will have more free time. I uploaded pictures of a few adventures around Busan -


Lotte Giants games - the most popular sports team in Busan, and probably second in the whole country behind the national soccer team. The fans are great - they cheer for runs, hits, strikeouts, walks, foul balls - pretty much everything, and they go for 3 hours straight. It is a sight to see 30,000 people all tying orange plastic bags to their heads for the last inning.

Dr. Fish - this little cafe is one of the last ones in Busan. Though its popularity has died out in recent years, you can still find a few places that let you stick you foot into a tank of small fish as they nibble off any dead skin you have. I mostly tickled and it was hard to notice any difference afterward, but still a fun experience.

The Ballerina and the B-Boy - a very good play I saw about a ballerina who falls in love with a break dancer. It was actually more of a dance show as there weren't any lines. The break dancers were awesome! After the show, the announcer said something in Korean, told everyone to close their eyes, and when we opened them, the whole crowd was pointing at us (I assume he said pick someone you want to see dance on stage). So me and my friend Kyle got to show our moves in front of everyone. Check out the video.

Sand Festival - this annual festival is held on Haeundae beach and has many events, ranging from a volleyball tournament to a sand museum to a fashion show, and of course, the sand castle building competition. We spent all day on the beach enjoying it and even tried building our own sand creature.

World Cup - always fun, but especially awesome this time around because I am with people from all over the world. I watched the South African game with a bunch of South Africans in a pub. Then went to the soccer stadium which was full of 50,000 screaming Koreans for the Korean domination of Greece. Then stayed up late with my fellow Americans and a few Brits to watch the England USA match. For the next Korea game, I am going to watch on Haeundae beach, where they set up huge screens right on the beach and pack 100,000 people in the cheer on the Red Devils.

all of the pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment